Type of Organization
The Niagara SPCA and Humane Societies came into being as the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty in 1886, from a humanitarian effort to protect both animals and children. Years later, in 1919 the first Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act was enacted, creating a separation between the Humane Society and the previously formed Children’s Aid Society.
Niagara SPCA and Humane Societies strive for a future where no animal is left alone, unwanted or mistreated. Within their jurisdiction, they focus primarily on providing a safe and secure location for stray animals, rescue and relief transfers, shelter medicine, community engagement and finding animals their forever homes.
In 2014, the Niagara SPCA opened a low-cost spay and neuter clinic for shelter animals. Now, the clinic is fully accredited as a veterinary hospital by the College of Veterinarians (CVO) and is open to the public. To date, the clinic has completed approximately 45,000 surgeries. The Niagara SPCA was the first organization to innovate veterinary medicine in Ontario by purchasing and accrediting a mobile spay & neuter clinic. This unit travels to low-income areas as well as native reservations to help with their pet overpopulation issues. The program was launched in 2015 and has completed approximately 3,000 surgeries and nearly 2,500 wellness examinations within Ontario.
SPCA International is proud to support such a strong and long-standing organization as they continue to expand their positive impact and continue helping communities and pets in need.