Submitted by Janet Mercer, Webmaster
As we all know, animal shelters are overrun with pets at this time of year as many dogs and cats unfortunately continue to reproduce. We wanted to share some of the exciting and creative ideas we've seen recently to encourage and increase pet adoptions.
- Find each animal's personality. Watch their behavior and learn about the special qualities of the pet and create some great flyers, for example:
- Infographics are also very popular and friendly, especially for shelter websites:
- Use simple Photoshop filters to make an illustration from a photo.
- Look at things from the animal's perspective, like the Human Walking Program.
- Baltimore's shelters have created a joint program every June called "The Baltimore 500". Adoption fees are waived during this month. Of course, all potential owners are still carefully screened. Check out their Facebook page here.
- One of Baltimore's 4th grade teachers had a great idea: have the children write persuasive adoption letters from the pet's point of view.
- And, in case you missed it, a really fun video from Wake County Humane Society, lip-synching to "Take a Chance on Me" by ABBA! Read more of the story of this video on their website.
What other creative ideas have you seen lately? Have these ideas sparked something for you? We'd love to hear about it!